|Authors: ||Australian Academy of the Humanities. Symposium (29th : 1998 : Sydney, N.S.W.), Bennett, Bruce, 1941-2012., Australian Academy of the Humanities|
|Publisher:||Canberra, A.C.T : Australian Academy of the Humanities,|
- There are 18 copies of this book in other libraries
- and 18 copies of this specific edition.
- Australian Academy of the Humanities. Symposium Sydney, N.S.W.) (29th : 1998 :
- "'Australia in between cultures' investigates questions and problem raised by a variety of intellectual disciplines and fields of study. A number of papers focus on the relationship between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians. But other themes and approaches are evident too. The autobiographical reflections of some participants on the relationship to the field they profess are of particular interest, revealing insights ranging from the intelligently provincial to the determinedly international. Not surprisingly, a recurrent theme is the representation of knowledge in Australia and its distribution across time and space. The volume is not held together by a single tonal quality or set of values, but readers are likely to be impressed by its diversity of voices and its openness to change, interspersed from time to time with that non-unworthy emotion, nostalgia." -- Foreword.
- Foreword / Bruce Bennett
- Cultural and communication studies
- Floating lives: the media of the Diaspora / Stuart Cunningham and Tina Nguyen
- 'Between the Church and the stage': David Unaipon at the Hobart Carnival 1910 / Stephen Muecke
- European languages and literature
- Teaching and learning: a language-based perspective / Giovanni Carsaniga
- Narratives of modernisation: the student movement and social change in West Germany / David Roberts
- The dynamics of first encounter: perceptions of the Aborigines recorded during the Baudin expedition / Margaret Sankey
- A provincial viewpoint / Geoffrey Bolton
- History, fascism, Europe and Australia after the end of history / Richard Bosworth
- Image, text and language: historicising the history of politicial thought / Conal Condren
- Explaining oneself: Labor, Catholic, Irish, UNSW / Patrick O'Farrell
- Linguistics and philology
- Language restoration in Aboriginal Victoria / Barry Blake
- The embodiment of world-view in grammar: horses and buggies in the late 20th century / Kate Burridge
- The contribution of the humanities disciplines to understanding the interface between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians / Francesca Merlan
- Prehistory and archaeology
- Second nature: hunter-gatherers, land and the past in Australia / Lesley Head.
- Includes bibliographical references.
|Libraries Australia ID:|