|Authors: ||Australian Vice-Chancellors' Committee. University Museums Review Committee ((author.)), McMichael, D. F. (Donald Fred), 1932-, Australian Vice-Chancellors' Committee. University Museums Review Committee|
|Publisher:||Canberra : Australian Vice-Chancellor's Committee,|
- There are 45 copies of this book in other libraries
- and 45 copies of this specific edition.
- Australian Vice-Chancellors' Committee. University Museums Review Committee (author.)
- x, 225 pages : colour illustrations ; 25 cm.
- "There are over 250 museums and collections in Australian universities, many containing rare and valuable items which are now virtually irreplaceable. It is essential that this material be safeguarded as part of the nation's cultural and scientific heritage. All Australians should have access to this part of the nation's Distributed National Collection. For them to be able to do so they need to know what is there. During the last two decades most sectors of the museums industry have experienced significant growth in staff capital investment and patronage, but this has not been the case for university museums and collections. Tighter finances and increasing enrolments at universities have led to a greater share of limited resources being devoted to teaching. An unintended consequence has been the neglect of some university museums and collections which are for the most part under-resourced and inadequately managed. The Commonwealth Department of Employment, Education and Training, recognising the scale and national significance of university collections, commissioned this report. The Review Committee examined the full range of university museums and collections and explored many aspects of their management. Its report makes a wide range of recommendations covering policy, management and funding. This report will assist universities to realise the full potential of their museums and collections, and to provide better access to an important part of Australia's heritage." -- book cover.
- Part A
- 1. Executive summary and list of recommendations
- 2. Background to the review
- 3. Terms of reference
- 4. Composition of the committee
- 5. Outline of the committee's program
- Part B
- 6. Review of university museums and collections
- 7. Recommendations (listed under subject matter)
- Part C
- 8. Appendices.
- Available from the AV-CC GPO Box 1142 Canberra ACT 2601.
- Bibliography: page 187-194.
|Libraries Australia ID:|